Visiting performers and musicians


Information, to assist visiting artists, musicians, bands and groups …

It’s possible you could be performing in one of 2 covered barns: one “rustic” and open, the other closed, or, in one of several outdoor areas, and possibly in a specially arranged marquee.

To this end, the “map” below shows the main indoor and outdoor areas, along with the nearest source of 230v mains.  You will need to provide extension cables to “get power” from the nearest source socket to your performance area.

In the case of a marquee, particularly when a distance from any building, power may or may not be supplied by the rental company, depending on the arrangements made by the client. 

For simplicity, only the main areas and buildings are shown.



Mains socket numbers and positions are being updated as refurbishment works is completed

The open (Rustic) Barn:


Views, during set up, showing typical temporary dance floor / stage area


Left hand side

Right hand side

Back to front

The Byre (main) Barn:


Sound level considerations

We in “entertainment” are all very well aware that our “sound” or “music” can be, and often is “noise” to other people.  In an effort to at least minimize upsetting the neighbours, or worse, receiving actual complaints we’ve “quantified” sound levels in exactly the same manner as a local council in the UK.

While it was never intended for this purpose, and is not ideal, local councils in the UK adopt “BS4142″ as a measurement method and “likelihood of complaint” gauge.  In it’s most basic form it reckons that sound (or noise) 3dB greater than the usually expected background noise level, IS likely to result in complaint.

Doing a very “round figure” calculation (as of course things can vary enormously depending on the exact position of a sound source in open air, and just as much depending on whether doors are open when inside one of the buildings) and, taking the worst case, we end up with the figures below ….

As you can see, in this worst case, but still being a “bit lenient” the “allowable” level in the Byre is  95 dB.

Actually enough to do hearing damage, but 5 dB less than a typical rock band.


Also remembering:

The “house rules” (point 1) in the English version of your contract with St Victor La Grand’ Maison …


Article 10 – Musique, in the English version of your contract with St Victor La Grand’ Maison …

Point 1 Music  (English version)
1. Music The client must see to it that the sound level does not disturb the neighbours. He will be held personally responsible for any noise, smoke or any other inconvenience constituting an unusual private nuisance that might be caused. All music should be kept to appropriate levels,  • In the garden it must be at background level after 10pm and turned off completely by 10.30pm. • In the Open Barn it can be on until 1.00a.m., then at background level between 1.00 & 1.30 a.m. and by 1.30 a.m. turned off completely • In the Byre – doors closed- it can go at background level between 1.30 a.m. and at 2.00 a.m. and then turned off completely


For performers and artists using “speaker management” units (DCX2496, Driverack or similar)  within their pa system, we recommend you set up a couple of additional “peq” notch filters, specific to the two barn locations.

These seriously help with the “speed” & “weight” of bass, as they reduce resonance “overhang” from the room, and prevent masking of  frequencies both above and below the filter frequencies.



Filter 1:   

Centre Freq Hz    Level dB    Q

            86                     -8          8

Filter 1:   

Centre Freq Hz    Level dB    Q

            92                     -12        10